Thursday, July 24, 2008

Meet Melody Murray (SalamanderHouse)

Bead Art Originals welcomes Melody Murray! Melody's Etsy shop is called SalamanderHouse. Yes, you read that correctly, but we've checked and there's not a salamander to be had! It's just the name Melody has chosen to give to her studio. Maybe if you ask her nicely, she'll tell you why she chose that particular name.

Melody works mostly with tiny seed beads, primarily in peyote stitch, and says that every piece she does represents many hours of intense concentration and love. That becomes immediately apparent when you view the detail and artistry in her work.


When asked to describe herself, Melody's response was, "
Curmudgeonly idealist with limpid hazel eyes and lots of beads." Those of us who know her would have a hard time describing her as curmudgeonly (a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person). It's much easier to believe she's an idealist (a person who cherishes or pursues high or noble principles, purposes, or goals). And we won't dispute the limpid hazel eyes and lots of beads.

If you'd like to read more about Melody and her bead artistry, check out the Salamander House Studio blog; and you can see photographs of her creations, both in progress and completed works, in Melody's flickr photostream.

After you've finished reading her blog and admiring her photos on flickr, be sure to check out Melody's Etsy shop. Here's just a sampling of the bead artistry you'll find there:


10 comments:

MAKUstudio July 24, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

Nice to meet you Melody! Happy belated birthday too! Your work is fantastic!

SarahKelley July 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

Yay Melody! I too love the exquisite details in your work. My favorite pieces are the windowed bottles.

M.J. Mullins July 25, 2008 at 8:26 AM  

Hey, girl! I've admired the intensity of your work for some time - particularly your bottles. I've had some vessels that I can't seem to get from the drawing board into the beadbox. You most definitely inspire me!

Anna July 25, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

Yes, she's definitely not curmudgeonly! I love her beaded bottles, especially her Grappa From Mars!

Carol Dean Sharpe July 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

I have a tiny sample of one of her beaded bottles and can attest to the exquisite care and artistry with which it was created.

Hey, maybe I need to make it my goal to have something of my very own from each and every one of these fantastic artists... I've been known to barter my soul away for beautiful art!

Swanee July 25, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

I so love the headbands that Melody has created ... very imaginative!

Melody Marie Murray July 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM  

Ooh, I like being famous! Thanks for the swell write-up, and for inviting me to join this hugely talented team.

Smadar's Treasure July 26, 2008 at 5:00 AM  

I love Melody's work and I enjoyed reading this article about her.

Smadar

Dawn Chastain July 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM  

Loved "meeting" you melody! I've admired your wonderful bejeweled bottles for a while now!!

Unknown July 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

Great article showcasing Melody's wonderful original work! I love Melodya's headbands!!! gorgeous!