Sunday, February 1, 2009

time2cre8's Proudest Creation

We've asked our Bead Art Original members to tell us about their "proudest creations." In this post, time2cre8 tells us about hers, in her own words:

I never would have thought it would be so difficult for me to choose a favorite creation. As I began looking through photos, though, I found myself remembering what was on my mind as I created each piece. There are so many sources of inspiration that I find myself flooded with ideas all the time. Some pieces are inspired by thoughts of family members, some by the weather or the seasons, some by art, and some just seem to happen.

In the case of Opulence, I was inspired by the collection of color-lined triangle beads I'd accumulated. They looked so beautiful all mixed together in the container, and I wanted to create something that would show them off in the same way I was viewing them. As the bracelet grew, I realized that something interesting was happening as I added the fringes with the triangle beads at the tops. The triangles are so large that they fit together like tiny puzzle pieces, and the bracelet wound up having a texture and heft that I loved. I was almost sad to see it go, but I know the person who purchased Opulence is truly enjoying it.

Seeing a bunch of beads in a container might not seem much of a reason to call this a favorite piece, but the caterpillar design is also a contributing factor because it was one of the first types of bracelets I ever made. Before I began making peyote cuffs and bracelets, before I began learning other techniques, I created a caterpillar bracelet as a gift for one of my best friends. It was made with some of the first seed beads I ever bought, and I'm still happy when I see her wear it.

There are so many others of my pieces that I could call a "favorite." Each is special in its own way, and each is my favorite while I'm making it. And then inspiration strikes again, and I'm off to create a new favorite - at least for that day. :-)

5 comments:

SarahKelley February 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

"There are so many others of my pieces that I could call a "favorite." Each is special in its own way, and each is my favorite while I'm making it. And then inspiration strikes again, and I'm off to create a new favorite - at least for that day. :-)"-- Beautifully put!

Melody Marie Murray February 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

Fun to read about your process, of course. I don't know that I could have picked a favorite of your pieces- there are so many beauties!

MAKUstudio February 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

I can see why it's so difficult to pick a favorite! Beautiful!

Smadar's Treasure February 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

Beautiful, cheerful bracelet! I love the texture, too.

Swanee February 10, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

This bracelet is so fun looking and colorful! You must have a gazillion beads MaryLou. :) All of those different colors of triangle beads. Wow!