Friday, January 30, 2009

LisaPetersArt's Proudest Creation

We've asked our Bead Art Original members to tell us about their "proudest creations." In this post, LisaPetersArt tells us about hers, in her own words:

"Beauty in the Wounds", sometimes called "There's Beauty in Her Wounds" is a Raku Fired Ceramic Sculpture with Gold leaf and Brass Mesh. After creating this sculpture in raw clay and before it was bisque fired (1st firing) I intentionally broke it into pieces because I wanted to reassemble it afterward to convey a message of "putting back the pieces". I believe it is the first time my artwork was premeditated or it is the first time it ever "felt like my artwork was premeditated" as I usually I sit down with my materials and I experiment until something starts coming to life within my hands and then I just let my imagination run with it.
 


The process of putting the pieces back together was a very difficult task because earths clay has "memory" and will always go back or turn the way it was torn or broken before it was fired, regardless of how much you try to work "that memory" out of it. That task in itself represented how difficult it is for us to put back the pieces in our life so that we can begin to be whole again. The similarity between memories, holding us back - making it harder to put our lives back in order and memory making it difficult to assemble this piece was so powerful and when I realized I could join them, not perfect like before, but joined nonetheless it became clear that once we begin to embrace what mistakes and tragedy we have had in our lives we can begin to see the light or the positive and begin to heal.  

My feelings about Beauty in The Wounds are written on the back side of this sculpture so that she never goes anywhere without them.


6 comments:

Melody Marie Murray January 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

That's a wonderful piece, and powerful sentiment behind it.

MAKUstudio January 30, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

So true! Such a fantastic sculpture with meaning! I love it!

Lisa Peters Russ January 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

Thanks everyone!
Thanks BAO Group!
I think the creation of this group has to be one of "someone's" proudest creation!

Anonymous January 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

It is wonderful--profound and inspiring.

Smadar's Treasure January 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

It is beautiful and powerful! and I enjoyed reading about the idea and process.

Swanee February 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM  

Ok, I'm just totally blown away by this! I don't possess the vocabulary to express my feelings. And, isn't that exactly how art is supposed to make us feel!