Saturday, January 24, 2009

Naftali's Proudest Creation

We've asked our Bead Art Original members to tell us about their "proudest creations." In this post, Naftali tells us about hers, in her own words:

A number of years ago, a friend gave me a rattlesnake glass eye when she heard I wanted to incorporate it into my work. The eye was the focal point of the whole necklace and I built everything around it. I wanted to combine sterling silver, seed beads, polymer clay and grout. This necklace was the culmination of that.

I thought it would be fun to make "sections" using different palettes and patterns within the bead crochet. When I made the bail for the necklace, I wanted to add color. I had just begun working with polymer clay and decided I would tube set it with that material. And when I played with sheets of mokume gane and various colors, I knew these colors and patterns were just what I needed. And to tie the necklace in with the pendant, I also inlaid some size 8 seed beads.  
 
So it's a smorgasbord or stuff! It's one of the pieces I could never part with. For those who might just want to add glass eyes into their work, I did a quick google search on reptilian glass eyes. This is one of the sites that came up: http://glasseyes.com. There are some pretty funky eyes there. They say these are ideal for a fox: http://glasseyes.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?ref=mammal&productcode=300ES. Oh my, I might just have to get me a few!


7 comments:

Melody Marie Murray January 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

Oooooh. I am in love with this! Wow. It's stunning, and I can see why you wouldn't part with it!

Someday, I'll finish my gecko eye bracelet and we'll go out to dinner together wearing our reptilian finery, okay? *grin*

SarahKelley January 24, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

I love it and I'd love to see you do a whole line!!!

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

I love how the whole piece suggests a snake. And also the way you mix things up. Thanks a ton for the links!

Smadar's Treasure January 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

I understand why you are proud of this, it's just gorgeous! Your idea for the rope turned out perfect for this pendant. Love your work!!!

storybeader January 25, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

I can't say which I like better, the pendant or the foundation, bec I love them both so much! It's beautiful!

MAKUstudio January 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

Stunning!!! Love your work!

Swanee January 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

I am fascinated how you combined your metal, polymer clay and beading skills in creating this fabulous necklace! I've never worked with polymer clay, and while reading, the word "grout" stopped me short. Who outside the clay world would think about using grout in jewelry? Learned something new! :)