Wednesday, January 21, 2009

SalamanderHouse's Proudest Creation

We've asked our Bead Art Original members to tell us about their "proudest creations." In this post, SalamanderHouse tells us about hers, in her own words:


Callisto is a peyote stitch sculpture in two parts which measures about 3" in every direction.



I named her Callisto because she reminds me of the story of the mother who turned into a bear, and because I was thinking of the way parenting works as I was beading her. It's a letting go and a realization that the spin-off is more ruffled, more intricate, more beautiful than the self. The mother bear is a little lumpy and much more malleable than the little one, who is stiffer and sees things in stark contrast. This piece is about the journey that parenthood is, especially the parenting of teenagers. There was also a lot of anthropomorphizing going on as I worked on this piece.

The weaving process was also interesting because I had a very definite vision in mind. Generally, I work to a theme or a broad idea. Working with a set aim required me to push myself through some interesting conundrums of thread and tension. The palette is earthy, rocky and bearish with glints of metal that enhance the edges and the fluted ruffles. The metal also serves to make some boundaries within the larger piece, and to create a degree of relatedness between the two. The cub piece has a much more playful feel than the mother piece.

7 comments:

Jean Hutter January 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Great piece and wonderful story - I enjoyed reading this post!

SarahKelley January 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

I love this piece! I wish it were wearable-- it would make a great bracelet! Reminds me of a shed snake skin.

MAKUstudio January 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

I love that you create with a story in mind! Beautiful work!

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

It is a beautiful piece and a beautiful story. I love your insight.

Anna January 22, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

Your description of the parenting relationship made me want to cry. I have two daughters, one in college and one in high school. The youngest is pushing all the limits these days and it is so hard right now.

Your sculpture is gorgeous and made more so by the story behind it.

Janice January 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

I always love the stories behind the art - fascinating. What a spectacular piece!

Smadar's Treasure January 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

It's a beautiful piece and a beautiful story behind it!